This overnight breakfast casserole is a great no fuss, time saver when you have guests staying over. It has a 15-20 minute prep time and it’s all done the night before. This works well for me since I’m not very good at talking and cooking at the same time (multi tasking is not my forte since I always leave some vital ingredient out of the mix). Enjoy your evening, get up, pop the casserole in the oven and relax. Have a chat over coffee while it bakes. A bonus to this recipe, it makes the house smell amazing while it’s baking!
There are many versions of strata, from savoury to sweet. As long as you have bread kicking around, it’s an impromptu dish to pull together using what ever you might have in the fridge and pantry.
2 apples, cored and diced
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
1 small loaf of sour dough or rye bread (or 8 slices of regular loaf bread), cubed
¾ c grated cheddar
2 tbsp of brown sugar
2 c milk (animal, nut or grain……your choice)
3 large free range eggs (let’s be kind to our chickens)
½ c dried cranberries
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- saute butter, apples and cinnamon over medium heat until tender
- lightly butter an 8 in. baking dish
- add ¾ of your cubed bread to the baking dish
- add apple mixture, cheese and brown sugar and spread evenly over bread
- in the meantime, beat eggs and milk until frothy
- stir in the remaining bread
- add this mixture to the baking dish
- place in the oven and bake for 45 – 50 minutes
- enjoy this breakfast casserole hot or cold
Enjoy your evening with your guests, get up, pop the overnight breakfast casserole in the oven and relax. Have a chat over coffee while it bakes. A bonus to this vegetarian breakfast recipe, it makes the house smell amazing while it is baking!